Partners HealthCare’s Knowledge Translation & Engineering Laboratory looks for better ways to educate healthcare providers. With this mission in mind, Dr. Robert Birnbaum and his team plan, build, and test innovative learning programs. Our goal is to provide education that is relevant to each learner while reducing the time it takes providers to complete required trainings. We want providers to find our education valuable and to be able to apply what they learn to their practice in a meaningful way.
The lab’s current and recent projects:
- Link learning interventions to process improvement.
- Leverage advances in information technology.
- Study learner assessment and instructional design concepts.
- Incorporate principles of cognitive psychology and basic neuroscience into education.
- Promote integration with electronic medical record based clinical decision support tools.
- Promote collaborative decision-making environments at the point of care in conjunction
- Include patient education