Module 1: September 9, 2019
UGME and GME training is limited to the practice of medicine and does not prepare physicians for the management and leadership skills required for success in Academic Medical Centers. Mayo and Cleveland Clinic are considered leaders in faculty development. These organizations have created pathways that guide faculty from basic skills to sophisticated leadership. These institutions have made faculty development a priority and have published on this topic.
The curricula are similar remarkably across the leading organizations and professional societies that offer this training.
- New faculty are formally introduced to the vision, principles, structure and standards of the organization.
- The new faculty experience often includes education about personal development, promotion, standards of behavior and quality. Later, management and finance courses are offered to those who assume leadership roles, such as running a clinical service, a division etc.
The target faculty will be those who are through training and establishing their careers but the question “where do I go from here”. In March 2014, the DOM Faculty Leadership Initiative Steering Committee laid out its initial Steps, which included a more formal on boarding of new faculty to ensure Career development will start early in their careers. Newly appointed faculty currently could benefit from better “on boarding” that provides early skills and perspectives on their roles within the institution.
This course will be complementary to the existing MGPO Leadership Course, offerings by the MGH Center for Faculty Development and numerous other HMS and Partners opportunities.
The New Faculty Program will provide many opportunities to gain and enhance skills that are of interest to their personal career and professional advancement. Participants will gain a common understanding of MGH and Partners and meet colleagues from different departments and divisions and develop relationships with peers that endure for many years. The purpose of the course is to introduce professional development, management, communication, professionalism, mentorship and career advancement topics that are of immediate use to new Department of Medicine (DOM) faculty. The inaugural version of the course is a pilot by the DOM and is aimed at MDs, whether their role is largely clinical, educational or research.
This activity is intended for the MGH Department of Medicine faculty.
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Utilize skills to effectively manage professional and career development
- Develop a peer-network across different MGH Department of Medicine Units/Divisions
- Explore leadership theory as a means to facilitate change or improvements in their practice
- Improve interpersonal skills to more effectively work with others
- Identify resources and support services for research, clinical, teaching and mentoring activities.
- Determine opportunities for development at MGH and HMS
MGH Department of Medicine & Partners HealthCare
Partners HealthCare System is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Partners HealthCare System designates this live activity for a maximum of 9 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in this activity.
- 4.50 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™
- 4.50 Participation